Thursday, June 7, 2012

Love

I mentioned in my last post that this has been a tough year.  I've had some difficult situations and relationships to pray about and to take to God on a regular basis.  He is so faithful.  I'm learning to lay burdens down at the foot of the cross and to feel compassion (vs. anger) towards those who are hard to love.  And, we are all hard to love at certain points in our lives!  :-)

Our pastor recently started a sermon series on the Fruits of the Spirit and I have been so blessed!  Such wonderful reminders!  The first week was about love, of course.  Bro. David challenged us to think of at least one person in our lives who is hard to love.  Then, he challenged us to reach out to that person in love.  Wow...I didn't want that challenge! 

But, I took the challenge, and he has given me such a peace about it all.  I was remind about "agape" love, which is the type of love that God uses with us.  Agape love is a sacrificial love; it is a love that flows through us from God.  We, as humans, are incapable of this type of love on our own.  We must first experience God's true love in our hearts before we can understand it and extend it towards others.  Agape love is a choice, much like forgiveness and obedience.  And, it's hard.  Really hard to do, especially when the other party throws it back in your face.  But, that's where the sacrificial part comes in.  As Christians, we should die to our selves and live for Christ.  So, even when others intentionally hurt us in our obedience to Christ, we must lay it down at our Savior's feet.  And, what a freedom that is...we have someone so much stronger than us to carry these burdens!

Growing up, I went to our church's camp, called Camp Agapolis.  See?  There's that Agape love again!  I remember vaguely learning these truths then, and I am glad to have a fresh reminder to practice in my life.  We are to never stop learning and growing in Christ!  I know He is constantly at work in my life, and I'm so glad for it!

"Cause me to hear Thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in Thee do I trust."
Psalm 143:8

Speaking of love...I sure do love these kids.  What blessings they are to me!





Cindy and crew

No comments: