I get asked now and again why I blog. Why do I expend time from my week, recording events, feelings, and thoughts? I've spent some time thinking on the matter. Let me see if I can explain my two "draws" to the blogging world...
First of all, I feel that God has given us each a story to be told. Thoughts to share; feelings to express. We all have wounds and triumphs. We all have worries and praises. We all have experienced the lows of the valleys and the highs of the mountaintops. We each have a story in our hearts, our lives. We are called to share Christ with others. And, what better way to do that than through our stories. The ways God has blessed us and shined His glory through us. The ways He has held us through sorrow and suffering. I think I can wrap it up in one sentence...I blog because I feel I am called to share myself, my family, my story with others.
Do I have anything worthwhile reading? Well, the jury is still out on that one! :-)
This concept stemmed from a study I worked on a couple of years ago. The book is called "To Be Told" and is by Dan Allender and Lisa Fann. The theme of the book is the value in knowing your story (your past) in order to shape your future. I love the part that reminds each of us that our story is only a fraction of the "big picture." God is telling a HUMONGOUS story. He weaves each of us into that story, bit by bit. We have hope that our lives are more than just a series of events. We cling to the recognition that God takes every moment in our lives and uses them for His glory. Now, we may not realize the importance of each event here on earth, but one day when we are with our Lord in heaven, we will know how all our stories go together to create one perfect plan. Boy, that's worth living for, huh?!?!
You know, it is easy to be thankful in those happy, joyous moments. On the other end of the spectrum, I'm learning to trust that God also uses those "bad" scenes in our lives. Mistakes and hurts are also a part of our story and of His picture. You know why? Because He can show His power through those bad times by redeeming them for good. I get chill bumps thinking of that! He takes all my bad judgements, my stupid decisions, my selfish moments and He can use those, too! I can grow and learn and share those moments when led by God. Maybe I can help someone else NOT experience those things. But, most of all, I pray that God's goodness and glory is reflected through the redemption that He extends to me, a sinner saved by His grace.
A second reason I'm drawn to blogging is the written word. I love anything to do with stories. I love writing, reading, books, paper, words. I attended a creative writing talk one night recently (from the perspective of teaching my kids how to write creatively). The lady sharing mentioned that you should make every word count. Create a visual in people's minds with strong verbs and nouns. I like that idea. I know I tend to ramble a lot but I like putting things down on paper and seeing it come to life. Blogging has become a means to express myself, not unlike journaling. I see on "paper" (i.e. the computer screen) what I'm feeling and thinking. It becomes a way of processing emotions and thoughts. It definitely is a way to connect with others, just like women have for generations. Women share, they talk, they process life by connecting with other women friends. Blogging provides a somewhat similar means to do this, albeit a one-way communication.
So, by sharing events from our lives and by describing my thoughts and emotions, I hope to share a piece of myself and my family's lives with each of you. That you may know us and our stories. That you may know Christ and the way He is working in each of us.
Cindy and crew
Park City Utah
4 years ago


2 comments:
I'm so glad that you share!!! I think it's fun to read what you have to say and what's going on with your family. Interesting and inspiring!
It's obvious that you love to write! You are very good at expressing your thoughts and creating those word pictures you described here. Keep writing - it is a blessing!
~mandy
Post a Comment