We knew going into this game that the girls should be able to easily wrap up a win. So, Coach decided to play a little "fruit basket turnover" to see how the girls did in different positions. Defense played forward, and offense played back. Now, ACat is a defense girl. She prefers being back there and does an awesome job at it. When the referee blew the whistle to begin the game, I was startled to see ACat front and center - with her arms crossed and her lip jutted out a bit.
I could tell she wasn't very happy being out of her comfort zone.
At first, the teams bounce the ball back and forth across the field, our girls trying to get familiar with their new positions. I look up and "bam," ACat sails a shot that just misses the goal. "Hmmm," I think, "this might be an interesting game!"
At this point, I see a glint in her eye - she is getting more interested in this position.
A few minutes into the first half, another teammate boots the ball in for the first point. We start again. Not too long later, ACat steals the ball and heads for the goal. She shoots the ball and another teammate taps it on into the goal.
What's that I see? ACat is smiling a little. Maybe this position isn't too bad, huh?!?!
They go again - 2-0. I'm visiting with another mom and I hear everyone begin yelling. I look up just in time to see it happen - ACat nails the ball straight into the goal. Score!
She's hooked, plain and simple. We may never get her back on defense. Half time comes with Xtreme 3-0.
The second half, in a nutshell, awards ACat another goal while working with a teammate to get it down the field. A third teammate scores yet another point towards the end of the game. And, then ACat boots a beautiful shot directly in the goal, only to get an "off sides" whistle blown by a fraction. No biggie, though. A moment later, the game ends - a shut-out for Xtreme, 5-0. And, ACat scored two of those points. Awesome!
This game was significant for ACat, being that these are probably her first goals scored since she was 6 years old! She's been hidden, mostly by her choice, on the back line for several years now! I'm proud that she isn't a person who HAS to be the star every single game. Sure, she deserves her shining moments, but she's okay, too, with being that silent support member - necessary to the team but not always receiving the glory. But, I'm glad she had her chance to taste some sweet victory!
Way to go, sweetheart! This was your moment!


No comments:
Post a Comment