Entire team:
Quapaw group:
The precious children at the Quapaw Indian Learning Center touched our hearts.
They forever changed us.
I mean...look into these eyes and tell me you wouldn't be different after spending time with these kids?
My heart is so tender for these kids and the main reason is because of the lives that these kids live. It is vastly different, in many ways, from the lives your and our children live. They need love. They need touch. They need consistency. They need to hear about Jesus.
Many of these children don't have stable adult examples to see day after day, especially in the male/father figure. One little 2 year old boy just broke my heart. He cried the entire day on Monday and Wednesday (the two days he was there at VBS). His day care teacher commented that he had seen and experienced more in his 2 years of life than most of us have in our 30 years of life. His first - and only - two years of life have been a nightmare. I don't even want to know specifics, but I can guarantee you that I will be praying faithfully for him and his future.
Another little girl (in the picture with me above) just craved love and attention. SO sweet! On the last day during big group, she was standing with her class and I kept noticing that she was staring at me. I kept smiling and waving at her. And, finally I bent down and held my arms out to her. She ran to me and just plastered her little body against mine. I held and hugged her and just wished I could take her home with me. At the end of the day, she gave me the biggest hug and kiss...so special. Little Katie...there's always that one that touches you the most.
One thing about this VBS that was different than our traditional ones around here was that the older kids thought it was all cool, too. By 3rd or 4th grade in our privileged society, many kids no longer think it is cool to attend VBS or other church functions. These boys and girls, every day, grinned and shouted "hello" to us, anxious to see what we had in store for them that day. They leaned on us, told us stories about events in their lives, ran up to just get a hug, and stayed close so they wouldn't miss a thing. I'm talking even 11 and 12 year old boys being excited to color! They appreciated us and our time there. And, that's a breathe of fresh air!
So, when I say "Forever Changed", I mean that it goes both ways.
Our lives were changed by this week - our girls saw how something simple like VBS was critical to these kids. They experienced the satisfaction of giving. They have a new view of what it means to serve - giving of yourself for the betterment of others. They got to step up and be leaders - in worship/skits and in our center time. I WANT our girls to see outside of the bubble they are often in. I want them to get out of their comfort zone and see how they can impact the world for Christ! That's a desire of my heart...for them to learn to make a difference. Not just be complacent, as we easily can do. But, to always seek ways to stretch themselves and their hearts for Christ. CS and I were SO proud and pleased with how they stepped up to the task and did what was asked of them. No complaining, no hesitations, and no questions. They did it and they were changed forevermore, I think. Sure, we were all exhausted after the week, but that kind of tired is a good tired! And, we had plenty of fun on the lake to balance the hard work, too!
My biggest prayer right now is that "Forever Changed" almost applies to those 45 children we reached out to at Quapaw. We had two boys make decisions for Christ, but I'm praying that many more are aware that, whatever their life situation is, they have a Heavenly Father who loves them, is all powerful, and will care for them. Even our little 2 and 3 year olds...I pray that they learned that people in this world do love them. And, one day, maybe they will learn that that love comes from THE One who IS love!
Cindy and crew


2 comments:
Wow, that is amazing. I would love to do something like this with my kids. I think its so important to teach them to have a heart for kids who don't have what we have, and especially kids who need Jesus.
Thanks for the report, Cindy. I agree that a mission trip will change your life forever. I'm glad this one did that for your family!
Post a Comment