Sunday, May 8, 2011

Authentic Love

I've been thinking a lot lately about Authenticity and more specifically how it is expressed through Love. Jesus exemplified that type of love for us - selfless, sacrificing, consistent, not conditional, deep...you know, overflowing love. I've had a couple of situations in my life this last year where the love and loyalty of a friend and a family member have been called into question...where circumstances determine the level of love and faithfulness shown. And, through these experiences, I've evaluated my own philosophy about love and sacrifice. And, of course, I have to look at the ultimate example of love - Jesus Christ.

I want to always love others like Him. I want my children to see me as authentic and real, and I want them to know that I love them no matter what. I don't want to be a "fair-weather" mom or friend; I don't want to be known as fake or undependable. Now, I'm not asking for a pat on the back or a critical eye...I'm just sharing what God has been showing me lately. We are to love as He loves us. And, in order to achieve that, we have to be able to accept His love and let it seep into every pore of our heart and body. We can't fill those holes with artificial things of the world. We shouldn't ever sustain ourselves with our own power, for we will fail. We have to get out of our own selves, our own wants, our own selfish desires. And, we need to look deep into the hearts of others.

I look at these reasons right here...


These 4 blessings have brought to light what God demonstrated towards us. They make it all real and authentic for me and have taught me so very much about what it means to love. I can't just love them with a surface love. I have to give of myself - every deep part of my being. These kids are Me now...not in the sense that I have given up myself totally for them but in the sense that they define and bring so much meaning to my life now. Without them, I lose myself. Now, I'm not talking unhealthy here...this may not make any sense! But, God has given me such a responsibility with these miracles and I cannot ever take that lightly. If I want them to see and understand God's love and authority in their lives, then I have to *try* to live that out here on earth. Sure, I fail miserably, but I hope and pray that the one thing they WILL see is the deep, abiding love I have for them BECAUSE of God's authentic love for us.

So, when I get sweet Mother's Day gifts like these...




...then I have a glimmer of hope that maybe they do see the real me and my - and God's - authentic love for them.

Cindy and crew

2 comments:

Shelly said...

great picture of you and your kiddos :) Enjoyed visiting with you on Sunday!

Mandy from Burkett Blessings said...

You are definitely living out God's love to your children. I've never seen a more genuine love than what I've witnessed from you.