Friday, April 9, 2010

Little Dude...Big Dreams


Some friends of ours gave us this cute outfit for Caboose. I love what it says. Not just because it's a sweet saying but the deeper implication found there.

I know I feel it all the time, as a mother. I have "Big Dreams" for each of my children. I work so hard to instill character qualities in them that will help them achieve their dreams. But, a "down" part of being an adult, is that we know the realities of life. Sure, we achieve some dreams we have laid out before us...or I should say God blesses us with the fulfillment of some of our dreams. But, we also know that life can be harsh and cruel. And, that is what I "dream" my children can avoid. Not realistic, I know. But, you see "life" affect your children - in small ways as they are really young and in increasingly harder ways as they grow older. I'm learning that I can't control it all. I can't protect my children from hurtful things others say or from not achieving a goal. That's just how life is. I know that and you know that. As a protective mom, I want to take the pain from my kids as they learn how life can be.

Maybe I'm rambling and not making sense. But, I've been feeling this a lot recently. What hurts and pain are looming out there in front of each of my children? What can I do to block the force, shielding them from sadness? I've been pushing and pushing lately, trying to get everything on my list done, working to meet all the needs of my entire family, grading, cleaning, chauffeuring kids, disciplining, loving, encouraging, nurturing, etc. and etc. Attempting to control all things spinning around and trying to control things that I certainly cannot! And, today, out of frustration, I just stopped. And, then I heard God whisper, "Trust me."..."Lean on me." And, tears came to my eyes and I thought of all I do to try to make my dreams and my kids dreams happen and I was reminded that I cannot do it in my own strength. I cannot forge ahead without His guidance and His strength. Or, I will feel depleted and helpless. Sure, hurts are out there but so much love and many blessings from Him are there, too. They counter each other and make us appreciate those dreams that we do meet and obtain. I'm praying that He will give me the wisdom to know how to prepare my children for most circumstances of life - good and bad. I may not be able to stop the hurt but I can attempt, in my feeble way, to show them who CAN help them through the hurt and pain. And, then, they CAN be free to dream big dreams.

So, dream on, my little ones.

Cindy and crew

No comments: