First off, our baby - ACat - begins middle school.
I can't believe I just typed those words. MIDDLE SCHOOL? Can you say scary?!?! I'm utterly speechless at how she got to be that grown up. I still feel like she's my little buddy, my companion...when it was just the two of us every day while Daddy worked. Our life and family is VERY different now - certainly in a good way! - but I kind of miss those days sometimes. We are so proud of her and the young lady she is becoming. So, sure, I'm looking forward to the future, too. But, that first step forward is always a little emotional.
Second, our Baby Girl starts Kindergarten.
I know how very ready she is for school - so smart and full of life. She's ready to tackle it and I know she will come out on top! But, this Mommie is having a hard time saying "good-bye" to those toddler/preschool days. I want to pull the reigns back a bit. Maybe because I KNOW how fast it will fly by after this point. Oh, why can't she stay little?!?!
Lastly, our Little Man turns 18 months in 4 days. What?!?! I am seeing the signs of the age and I know it is upon us. But, I want to hold him a little longer...as my baby.
There's this book by Karen Kingsbury, entitled, "Let Me Hold You Longer." It epitomizes how I feel right now - hitting all three big mile markers at the same time. It begins...
"Long ago you came to me,
a miracle of firsts:
First smile and teeth and baby steps,
a sunbeam on the burst.
But one day you will move away
and leave to me your past,
And I will be left thinking of
a lifetime of your lasts..."
It goes on to talk about all the "lasts" that we experience. I like this part - a good reminder...
"I look ahead and dream of days
that haven't come to pass.
But as I do, I sometimes miss
today's sweet, precious lasts..."
You know, I think, for us, we have learned this lesson kind of the hard way. Life whirls past and we go, "What happened?" I think with our third and fourth children, we have tried to hold on to those treasured moments a little tighter. I think our perspective with children has changed...we try not to look ahead quite as much (sure, you still have hopes and dreams!!). But, we try so hard to enjoy the NOW - today and what it holds. I think that is one lesson God has taught me over the years. It takes a conscious decision to slow down and relish in Today...for tomorrow and many more exciting moments will be here soon enough.
So, while I am a little sad to see life change, I'm still cheering these kids on...they are ready for each step. I'm just tucking away each memory as a treasure in my heart.
Plus, I still have this smiling face to keep me grounded! Sweet Smiley!
Here's to an awesome year of lots of "firsts"!
Cindy and crew


1 comment:
I cry EVERY time I read that book to the boys. The ugly cry!!! Such neat times for your family.
Post a Comment