Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Organizing 101

CS and I sat down last week and decided that we needed to re-organize some areas in our house. You know...streamline our "work flow" so that our family can operate more efficiently. With Little Bit starting school this fall, we really needed a third spot in the house where she could work. The big girls switch off between our dining room table the the big desk in the School Room/Play Room/ACat's Room (geez...the Multi-Purpose Room!). I also had to have some semblance of order in our laundry room. It becomes the "catch-all" room, at times, and it was driving me crazy!

I hit the stores, shopping for the perfect pieces AND perfect prices! :-) I fell in love with a Sawhorse Desk at Pier 1, so that is what I pulled in for the new work space in our Front Room. I just LOVE it! I am already working there myself and Little Bit can hardly wait to start Kindergarten there. For a while, this entire wall had been empty when we "re-assigned" a decorative table into the Living Room. Then, for 18 months, the wall was lined with play mats, baby toys, and walking toys. So, we sadly and lovingly packed up all of those baby toys...Caboose is getting too big for them! And, voila...a great work space!


Then, for the Laundry Room, we looked at many stores and just wasn't finding the right thing. We ended up at Lowes and saw this dark cherry wood modular piece. It wasn't quite what I wanted, but it was marked down from $350 to $94! As my mom said, "You could learn to like it at that price!" It turns out that they did not have any more in the dark cherry but had 1 left in white. White??? Definitely NOT what I wanted! But, it was $60!!! Okay...I can learn to like it, right? CS got it put together and this is where we stand...


It holds SO much! More than I had envisioned! The entire bottom shelf is a box of bags...what I really needed. You know, to hold all of those backpacks not being used, Thirty-One bags, book bags, etc., etc. And, there is one more shelf I can fit in at the top. I'm currently deliberating on what else can fit there...what other clutter can I eliminate in other closets, namely the School Room Closet?? It's hard to decide how best to use a space - what containers are needed, which shelf to set things on, what will make life run smoothly. Any suggestions??

Cindy and crew

No comments: