Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Known by God

I like this blogging thing! Since I'm home most every evening without adult conversation, it feels like a way I can connect with others! And, express my thoughts with no one talking back! :-)

I just had to share some thoughts from my Bible study tonight. A sweet friend and I are venturing through Galatians this summer. It has been an empowering study for me.

Anyway, tonight's section was Galatians 4:8-16. Paul has been confronting the Galatians about allowing the law (or legalism) to take precedence over faith in Christ. Faith is the only way we can gain true freedom in Christ. The point tonight that impacted me was in verse 9:
"But now that you know God - or rather are known by God - how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles?"
We strive so much to know God (or should do so!) - to know His direction, His plan, His qualities, etc. But, we don't stop much, I feel, to think that WE are KNOWN by God! What a comfort that is! He knows us, our desires, our intentions, our hearts. He sees when we desire to know Him. And, He honors that and fills us with joy that can come only from Him. Those two aspects are linked - knowing God and being known by Him. I guess that can be a frightening concept for some people. But, for me, that means we have to stop self-condemnation and only measure ourselves by God's standards. And, look only to the God who KNOWS us!
Enough deep thinking for tonight...time for bed.
Cindy

2 comments:

Momg said...

Welcome to the Blog world, I have you on my list of friends!

Kelly said...

I love your blog. Several girls at church used the Modern girls' guide. I loved it. We are still meeting each week. It's great.