Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Never Give Up

I've about decided that parenting is like learning how to ride a bike...



I love this girl but I keep "falling off the bike" with parenting her, or so I feel. Smiley has just conquered learning to ride her bicycle, but I'm still at a loss half the time with how to balance my two wheels with her. We've been struggling this last week or two, she and I.

She has these strong characteristics...qualities that ONE DAY can make her this magnetic, successful, strong young woman. I *know* that and I cling to that glimmer of hope. But, in the meantime, it is taking so much hands-on time, energy, prayer, and effort. I have to admit that I'm exhausted right now. That constant work and energy that it takes to keep her walking the "straight and narrow" path to good behavior and self-control is wearing me down.

Ahhh...control...that's the core of this little monster (meant in the most loving terms, I promise!). I rant, I rave but sometimes I have to sit back and think about what makes her the way she is. Am I that much different? Don't I like to control my life and my little world? Does God ever get as tired of trying to break my self-centered control like I'm laboring to get through to Smiley? I'm afraid that answer would be in the affirmative...though I know he never gives up on my many failures.

Lord, grant me the constant love, patience, and gentleness with my children that you show to me in so many ways.

Cindy and crew

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Yes, it is like learning to ride a bike...and I have the scraped-up elbows and knees to prove it! I have heard parenting compared to working a two-sized jigsaw puzzle without the box for guidance--and with some pieces from other puzzles thrown in!

Keep up the good work, and don't forget Galatians 6:9...or, on some days, Psalm 126:5! :)

Love you!

J :)