Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rambling Thoughts

I've been talking to some women friends the last week or so about some changes taking place in my 9, heading to 10, year old daughter. This age, I think, is the root of some new emotions, issues, and moments I've had with her lately. Definitely, just the beginning of hormonal, adolescent changes, I know! I have to admit that I've been a little floored...thinking I had a tad bit longer before entering this stage. Where's my laid-back, common-sense child who adjusts easily to change? Where my little girl whose hardest problem has been who to invite over for a play date? Who IS this child who cries at the drop of a hat and comes up with the most outlandish ideas at times? Help, please!?!?!

A close friend pointed me to some information on the Sky Ranch web site - part of their "Parenting Teens" classes. And, it, along with a talk in Sunday School this past Sunday, has really got the wheels a-turning in my mind.

You know, as a human, as a mother, I want my daughters to like me, to want to be my friend, and to view me as their hero. But, after much thought and consideration this week, I just don't see that as my role in their lives. Don't get me wrong...my ego wants that! I'd love to be the most popular mom in town and have all my kids' friends think that I'm so cool! Don't we all want that? Like, back to the high school mentality...I want to be the most fun kid (or in this case mom) on the block! I digress... I want to be liked by my daughters. I want to be their confidant and friend in all things. But, their sole role model? Their sole person to go to for advice? Whoa...that's a tall order!

Am I perfect? Ha! By no means. Do I want to be held up to that high of a standard? I don't think so! But, as Christians, that is where our hope and comfort comes in to play.

We DO have a Perfect One to whom we can point our children!

Sure, I should model myself after Christ and attempt to be a positive role model in their lives. Sure, I should encourage them to talk to me about feelings, issues, and problems. Believe me, I'd rather them come to me about things versus friends or other adults who may or may not be Christians. But, the bottom line is I can't and shouldn't try to always be their hero. I can't possibly live up to that high of a standard. For, I will fail and fall one day. And, I don't want them to lose sight of Christ because of my failings.

My job is to be a parent, not a best buddy. My job is to point them, in all things, to the One who can sustain them and meet their every need. If I learn now to keep pointing them towards heaven, then they have the best chance possible of making it through this difficult stage looming ahead -- adolescence in the real world.

Will I make mistakes? Definitely. Will I forget and take some glory for my own at time? Probably. Will I have moments when I feel like I've failed miserably? I imagine so.

But, I have the peace and assurance that HE will go before me and care for my girls. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that HE loves them far more than CS and I ever could.

So, I don't want to be their hero. I just want to point them heavenwards to the only hero who will never fail them and will love them without end. And, that is more than enough for me.

Cindy and crew

1 comment:

Jenn said...

What an excellent post! Very encouraging, friend...and exhorting. Thank you!