Sunday, June 20, 2010

Gone Pickin'

We've gone "pickin'" crazy recently! First, we decided a couple of weeks ago to take the girls blackberry picking at Indian Creek Farms. We were so pleased at how nice and well-kept the farm was. The rows were nicely mowed and the bushes were FULL of red and black berries! We especially liked that they had 4-5 rows of thornless blackberries...great with the kids! Remember how, growing up, you would end up with thorns in your fingers from berry picking? Not with these thornless bushes! The berries were big and plump, too. And, so sweet! Loved the experience! CS and I have been happy at how hard the girls have each worked at picking the berries. Little Bit joins right in and picks nearly as much as the big girls! Wow, little girl!

Look at all these red berries...just waiting for someone to pick them after ripening!


Group picture! And, see what Caboose did the entire time!



The results...mine was the fullest bucket! :-) CS, Caboose, and I went back the following week. I beat CS again! I don't think he picked as many growing up...I had lots of practice growing up on my grandparents' farm!


This last blackberry pic makes me laugh. My friend Michelle and I were feeling industrious one night and decided to attempt to make blackberry jam. We tried 3 attempts and I was going to document the experience with pictures (like Pioneer Woman!). Well, this was the ONLY picture I thought to take in all the mayhem going on that night! chuckle... It was a fun and funny experience. I won't share all the details, but with the 3 attempts, we ended up with 24 jars of varying flavors of blackberry jam. I have to say, though, that I think it turned out pretty well! At least attempt 1's jam is good...that's the only one I've tried so far! I'll have to open a "2" and a "3" sometime soon!


Then, day before yesterday, CS and I took the girls and joined a homeschool group of families at Rozell's Peach Farm. I have always wanted to take the girls peach picking - for the experience, if nothing else. Again, the owners of this farm were so nice and we all enjoyed the time there! We picked half a bushel of peaches and stopped at that. I have them laid out on my counter right now (only half show in the picture below), awaiting peeling, halving, and putting them up in the freezer. Can you say peach cobbler and ice cream?? Some of the peaches were a bit small. I think it's closer to July when the large peach varieties come ripe. But, I think these will work just fine! Someone told me to halved the fruit and let them sit in some Sprite for a minute before freezing. Supposedly, the sprite sweetens and preserves the peaches just like Fruit Fresh and sugar does. Hmmm...sounds like something interesting to try!









I think the girls especially liked this pickin' experience because they got to climb the trees! Think of me tomorrow when I'm peeling all these peaches! Thank goodness I only have two kids this week...the older two will be at Pine Cove!

Blueberries, here we come!!

Cindy and crew

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yay! Glad you got a pic of our jam-making adventure! It was fun and I'd love to make some more before summer is over!