Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Baby Mine

Remember the Disney Classic, "Dumbo"? From that movie comes the sweetest lullaby of all time..."Baby Mine"...one that I have sung to all my babies. I've rocked many a mile while singing that song. Those are moments I cherish always! As the time is drawing near for the arrival of little Peanut, I have been mentally getting ready. Or, trying to, at least!

With each addition to our family, I have felt excitement, for sure, but also some level of apprehension. It's hard to explain... How will the new little one fit into our family? How will the other children react to the addition? Will I be able to love the new one like I love my others? I think it is totally natural...life will never be the same! Your time becomes a little more divided but I've learned your love just expands to accommodate another precious child.

I have to say with Peanut that I'm not feeling like I'm betraying the others, like I have felt in the past (especially before having Smiley). The girls are thrilled and ready to accept him into our family, and I think that helps a lot. Even Little Bit... she clapped her hands together the other day and said, "Oh, I can't wait for Baby Peanut to get here!" Sweet! But, I do feel the countdown mode is on. Life as we know it is changing very soon.

As I listen to the words of "Baby Mine" (on my playlist to the right), I ponder the words to the last verse:

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But, you're so precious to me
Sweet as can be-
Baby of mine.


That helps put things back into perspective. This is our last baby. The last time I get to hold a warm ball of newborn sweetness that is ours. I want to savor each moment, each breath I have with him. I want the girls to share in it all and not miss a second. I think my anxiousness this time comes more from the busyness of our lives. How can I slow things down so that I can enjoy this baby of mine? I know it's nearly impossible with older kids...they have commitments and responsibilities. But, I pray that I can keep a healthy balance of life. A balance that all in our family can handle and live with. And, definitely one that will allow us time with our new little one.

Two weeks...this Friday. At the latest, our son will be born and will be here to join our lives. I am progressing (not sharing all the details here!!), so it very well could be earlier. But, I'm comfortable that God's timing is perfect. When it is time for Peanut to arrive, all anxiety will disappear and we will experience the wondrous miracle of a new baby...this Baby of Mine.

Cindy and crew

1 comment:

KJB said...

Cindy,
Love this song. Obviously I need to watch Dumbo again. I don't remember this.
K