Such a sweet, sensitive spirit; a born leader. And, all that comes with that...a strong, independent will! If I have gray hair or creaking bones, it is largely due to the time spent with Smiley over the last 6+ years. If I have an overflowing heart filled from kind compassion, it is also due to Smiley's efforts to make sure I feel loved at all times. I am blessed! I'm convinced God will use her in a special way one day!
Here was our dialogue on the way to church this morning---totally unexpected after her silence and munching on a pop-tart:
"Mommie, if people don't love God, they don't go to church, do they?"
"Well, baby, I guess many times that is true."
"Mommie, if good people don't know about God, then they go to church so they can learn about Him, right?"
"Well...(Mommie is trying to ponder an answer)...they should go to church but all of them don't know they need to."
"Oh, so some good people don't go to church until they learn they need to know God?"
"Yes, some people just don't know. Others don't want to ever know God. That is our job to share Him with others."
"Yes, some people just don't know. Others don't want to ever know God. That is our job to share Him with others."
"Oh..."
And, off the thoughts went. We have recently been discussing the concept of "good people" vs. "bad people." Because of CS's job, our kids think everyone Daddy takes to jail is "bad." And, we are trying to emphasize that "good people" also make bad decisions and have to pay consequences.
And, off the thoughts went. We have recently been discussing the concept of "good people" vs. "bad people." Because of CS's job, our kids think everyone Daddy takes to jail is "bad." And, we are trying to emphasize that "good people" also make bad decisions and have to pay consequences.
Whoa...isn't that how God has to deal with us - the "good people" (as Smiley would define us)? Christ died for us so that we could be free through faith and salvation in Him. Yet, how many times do we allow our sinful natures to take over? I don't think we always "get" it. He died to set us free...not to give us freedom to do whatever we want to do. A protection of sorts, to keep us from becoming enslaved again to our selfish desires/sinful nature (see Galatians 5). When we do sin, sometimes there are consequences to endure, even though God forgives when we ask. So, "good people" can make "bad" decisions, but through God's grace, we can still be set free!
Then, leading into Smiley's pondering...how do others see Christ in us? Through LOVE! Galatians 5:6 says, "faith expressing itself through love." We use love to show Christ to those who don't even realize they need God.
So, my daughter with boundless energy reminded this ole Mommie of how important love is! To our family, our friends, our neighbors, our community, our world. May we show the love of Christ with a smile!
Thanks, Smiley. I love you.


No comments:
Post a Comment