Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Organic, Anyone?

Okay, friends...I've gone out on a limb. I've done something I NEVER thought I would do. Totally off the deep-in...I've joined an organic produce co-op...


See? I told you it was different! I never, in a million years, would have put myself in "that" kind of category. But, here I am.

Why? Well, two reasons mainly:

1. To force us to eat more healthfully. By twice monthly having a variety of healthy vegetables and fruits enter the home, I think we will eat it to prevent spoilage. I'm hoping to plan my menus and grocery shopping around each share that I pick up.

2. To ensure that the veggies and fruits we do eat are without toxic preservatives and such. We've all heard of the "Dirty Dozen" in fruits and veggies - those that are coated with sprays to preserve the shelf life. And, we've all heard the controversy of ingesting those types of foods. So, CS and I have decided to play it safe and go organic on our produce. A few weeks ago, I went to Brookshires simply to buy organic produce that we eat daily. I spent over $35...and bought nothing else! Buying organic is expensive. So, we decided to try this co-op and expand our horizons. I like, too, that they buy from local farmers. It is headquartered in Dallas and they come to Tyler every other Tuesday.

I'm actually "sharing a share" with a friend. I was afraid we would not be able to consume the 15-30 lbs. of produce they deliver in each share. I think sharing will also enable us to possibly exchange those things we absolutely wouldn't eat. I do have to say, this co-op will force me to dig deep in my recipe book collection, searching for ways to prepare beets and eggplant. Hmmm...we will see how it goes! Luckily, most of the share will be "normal" offerings - broccoli, carrots, lettuce, potatoes, apples, tomatoes, bananas, and such. And, the share changes each pick-up day, so we will experience variety. I think this will be something that will stretch our entire family...but for the better. I'll let you know how it goes!

So, bok choy and chard...here we come!
Cindy and crew

1 comment:

Mandy from Burkett Blessings said...

Oh my! That IS different! I know for sure we'd never be able to consume that many pounds of veggies and fruits at my house - you know my picky eater!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes.