Thursday, January 21, 2010

Prayers for Zander

I'd like to ask all of you out there to pray for a neighbor of ours who has just been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. He's 11 years old. 5th grade. Has been given a 10% chance of survival.

That hits hard...especially as a parent myself. You can't help but wonder how long he's been walking around with this mass in his abdomen and with the cancer spreading through his lymph nodes and to his lungs. You can't help but think about what if one your kids were walking around with a tumor or mass growing somewhere in his/her body.

But, this is where I try to take captive my thoughts...my hope is placed in Someone mightier than anything, including cancer.

Back to Zander...

A couple of weeks ago, his parents took him to the ER here in town. They immediately sent him straight to Children's in Dallas. There he remains today, fighting for his life.

His family just moved here from Austin and have little support network here in town. CS and I have been brainstorming ways we can help support and minister to the family...which is difficult considering we barely know them. We had the opportunity tonight to take supper to the dad and 4th grade sister (who is friends with ACat and Smiley). They have been here part of the week trying to catch up with work and school. While delivering the meal, CS was able to have a long conversation with the father. I was so glad to see that connection there and am praying that God can use us to minister to this hurting family.

So, I ask you to join me in praying for Zander:
*for the team of doctors working with him
*for a miracle...that he will fall in that 10% who survive this kind of cancer
*for the parents who are hurting so much
*for the sister whose life has been turned upside down
*for opportunities through which CS and I can minister to the family and share our faith with them

"On that day they will say to Jerusalem, "Do not fear, O Zion; do not let your hands hang limp. The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. The sorrows for the appointed feasts I will remove from you; they are a burden and a reproach to you." Zephaniah 3:16-18

Cindy and crew

No comments: